Sunday 8 December 2013

Simple Thing no. 8: Cheesy Fortune Cookies

I've been in a bit of funk today.  Some disappointing news combined with frigid temperatures and a hectic work/school/existence schedule has left me feeling deflated.  But, these times do come around now and again, right?  It's how we learn to deal with them that makes us better people.

Anyway, despite my funky funkiness, I did manage to join some family and friends for take out Chinese food.  It's from our local greasy spoon, and while the cuisine is far from gourmet, it has a certain comfortable predictability about it.  

My favourite part of ordering Chinese food is always the the fortune cookies.  Nothing is less authentically Chinese than a fortune cookie, and yet it's something that I've always enjoyed.  The fortunes are either ridiculously general (something good will happen!) or ridiculously specific (Avoid purple underwear on Tuesdays) or just plain weird (eat your vegetables!).  Tonight, I received "A long lost relative will bring prosperity to your life".  I don't have many relatives, and I don't tend to lose them.  I wonder what it means?  

Probably that I have a rich great-great-great-great uncle that left me all of his money.  Yes, that's a nice thought.  I think I'll hold on to that one to get me through the Monday Blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment